Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Navigation system missing

I am in dire need of a moral mentor. I have a lurking suspicion that I am, in fact devoid of a common moral character that seems common sense to those around me. Perhaps, even, I am relatively amoral.

Granted, there are certain morays that I am unwilling to transgress. But I am not convinced that that is because I honestly feel it to be fundamentally wrong and immoral, so much as I am aware that this is what people will expect of me. I am aware of the social propriety and am able to apply these concepts practically. Is it a determination of right and wrong, or is it a trained response to avoid social ostracism?

Best case scenario....I possess a particular kind of awareness that allows me to identify control structures and am able to pick and choose which I deem actually moral or immoral. Seems unlikely.
Worst case scenario...My lack of true moral guidance will damage myself and others....and I might not care. But if I decide that I do care, then I am condemned to upholding moral institutions that I don'e believe in simply to feed my desire for social interaction.

2 Comments:

Blogger Xenia said...

this is the most poetic blog of anyone i've met and whose blog i've seen. i love it.

10:47 p.m.  
Blogger Vita said...

!! Thanks Xenia!!!

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about anything I've written.

10:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home