Sunday, November 02, 2008

What AM I doing with my life?

This is the question that plagues me. It doesn't get easier now that I have to summarize it to all the people I am reconnecting with. It doesn't get easier when I have a totally distorted view of my life. To me, it seems like I am frozen in time - still slaving away at school just like I have been doing for the last 8 years. That's because when people ask "What did you do this weekend?" the answer is invariably "homework" or "I can't remember." Don't get excited. The reason I can't remember is not because I was out partying. It's because between working at home and doing school work there is nothing to distinguish one day from the next.

That's the usual response. However, it is high time I remember that there is a lot happening:
a) I am finishing my third university degree - that's right - third
b) I have broken into my academic field with a major idea that has been well received at all the conferences I've been to so far (three)
c) I am presenting a paper at a professional conference in Texas this coming week
d) I just had my first paper published
e) I am volunteering at the SPCA
f) I've decided to take next year off before going on to a PhD program to pursue other interests, including animal welfare and wildlife conservation
g) I've made a conscious effort to allow myself a social life this year, rectifying the cloistering effect of last year
f) I have revivified a number of old and meaningful friendships
g) my current employment is extremely fulfilling and pays more than the other jobs I had applied for this year
h) my employment over the summer for Oxford University Press added an impressive notch on my academic belt and the position with the summer camp made a significant contribution to a community
i) I have reconnected with my artistic inclinations, resulting in some exceedingly beautiful images and potential projects

I think that the risk people run in any occupation in life is forgetting that they are more than just what they do. Being the sum of your actions means being the sum of ALL your actions - not just the actions that take up the majority of your time, working towards one long term goal. This is certainly the error that I have made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home